Interested to know what’s involved with maintaining a WordPress website?
Keep this checklist for the things that need to be checked each month on your website.
In a nutshell, the WordPress maintenance checklist can be divided into three categories:
- WordPress Maintenance Tasks for Security
- WordPress Maintenance Tasks for Performance
- WordPress Maintenance Tasks for SEO (search engine optimization)
Remember to backup your website prior to each update. We like to use the Updraft Plus
WordPress Maintenance Tasks for Security (to protect your website)
- Update all passwords to your website. Don’t use the same password that you use for multiple accounts
- Delete users who no longer work for you
- Review your website security logs to see if there is something ‘weird’ going on
- Remove any malware, bugs, etc.
WordPress Maintenance Tasks for Performance (so your website loads fast)
- Test for Browser and Device Compatibility.
- Test all your forms to make sure they are working properly
- Update your WordPress core files when there is a new release
- Update all plugins if there is a new update
- Delete themes or plugins you are no longer using
- Update your WordPress themes when there is a new update
- Optimize and clean your database of unnecessary data
- Fix broken links
WordPress Maintenance Tasks for SEO (so you show up in Google more)
- Audit your content (all the words you have written on the website, such as blog posts)
- Update the dates and content in blog posts to help your website get found on Google.
- Optimize images (if the image is too big, your website will load slow. And we are not talking about dimensions.)
- Check for negative SEO attacks
- Delete spam comments.
Whew! The list is a long one, but definitely necessary to keep your website fit as a fiddle.
And this is what we have provided for our clients in the past.
Whether you decided to hire someone to do the website maintenance for you or not, this is a handy checklist to keep on hand.
Feel free to contact us, if you need help for your 2021 Website maintenance services.