Having a Youtube channel is a great way to show off your skills (like hair styling, tech consulting, health coaching, etc.)
I started my channel in 2008 as a way to share tips on hair care, makeup applications tips and style ideas. I’ve since used my channel to include branding, business and tech tips for others looking to grow their side hustle into a business.
I’ve learned a lot since creating my YouTube channel back in 2008.
- Always be willing to learn from experts in your field
- Understanding why you’re using your channel. I like to call this an overall brand strategy. (Download my Free Brand Blueprint guide)
- Review your analytics each month to see which videos connects with your audience. Use this information to create useful content
One of my favorite YouTube experts is James Wedmore. Using his tips on how to get more traction to my videos have boosted my videos views over 100%, help me grow channel subscribers, help me build my email list for my website and lead to new business.
So yeah, having a YouTube channel is a great (and fun) way to build your personal/professional brand. But how do you get started?
Of course there is a video (from Youtube) on how to create your Youtube Channel.
Or if you prefer the written step-by-step. Here are a few steps to get you started via the Google support site.
Create a new channel
With a Google Account, you can watch, like, and subscribe. Google Accounts don’t come with a YouTube channel by default; without a channel, you have no public presence on YouTube.
To upload, comment, or make playlists, create a public YouTube channel. Currently this can’t be done in the Android or iOS YouTube apps, but you can use the mobile site or a computer:
Create a personal channel with your name
- Make sure you’re signed in to YouTube.
- Try any action that requires a channel: e.g. upload, post a comment, or create a playlist.
- If you don’t yet have a channel, you’ll see a prompt to create a channel.
- Check the details (with your Google account name and photo) and confirm to create your new channel.
Create a channel with a business or other name
- On a computer or in a mobile browser, make sure you’re signed in to YouTube.
- Go to All my channels.
- If you want to make a YouTube channel for a Google+ page that you manage, you can choose it here. Otherwise, choose Create a new channel to set up a channel with a different name than your Google account name.
- Fill out the details to create your new channel.
Learn more about using a channel with a business or other name on YouTube.
Now how to create a video via James Wedmore (the video expert).
Resources every Youtuber needs to know
Having a Youtube channel can be a beneficial part of your overall branding strategy for your business. Or if you want to create one for personal branding, that’s cool, too! Remember to enjoy the process, learn from your mistakes and update where needed.